Yesterday, I made my very first Mocha Chiffon Cake. Thanks to my cousin. It tastes good. For coffee lovers like me, this is the best cake for us.
- 1 1/8 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 pcs. egg yolks
- 1/2 cup water (or any flavoring you want. In this case, I used coffee)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
For the meringue:
- 4 pcs. egg white
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
For the frosting:
- 1 cup butter (soften)
- 1 cup confectioner’s powdered sugar
- I used an 8x8x3 round pan. Brush it with butter and layer the bottom and sides with wax paper. You can also use aluminum foil.
- In a bowl, sift and combine dry ingredients: cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- On a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients: vegetable oil, egg yolks, water or flavoring, and vanilla.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients. Set aside.
- For the meringue, mix the egg whites and cream of tartar on another bowl using an electric mixer.
- Gradually add the sugar while continuously mixing.
- Mix until it is foamy and stiff.
- Once done, fold the previous mixture gradually into the meringue carefully not to lose the air.
- Pour batter in the pan and bake for 45 minutes in 350 degrees celsius oven. Check the cake at 30 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when a toothpick was inserted and it comes out clean.
- Once done, set aside and let it cool at room temperature. You may cut the cake in half to make a double layer cake.
- For the frosting, mix the soften butter using an electric mixer. Gradually add powdered sugar. You may add more according to your preferences.
- Mix instant coffee in small amount of water then pour on the frosting. Mix well.
- Design the cake the way you want it.
Please forgive my design, hehe, newbie here. Happy New Year anyways!